June 2014, PHASA enquired from provinces regarding the legal use of silencers for hunting. Summary below:

Gauteng Ordinance 12 of 1983 does not prohibit the use of a silencer for hunting. It is therefore not illegal.

Legislation does not refer to silencers or sound suppressors. They are therefore not prohibited methods.

Northern Cape:
In the NCNCA 9/2009 a silencer is listed as a prohibited Hunting Method or Instrument BUT with the standard  provision that it can be used if  permitted by the landowner.  IN SHORT  -  it will be illegal to use on a public road but legal to use during a legal hunt the moment the landowners signs the written permission document

Free State:  
There is no legislation in place regarding the use of silencers in the Free State.  In short, it is not prohibited to make use of a silencer during a hunt.

Current conservation legislation in Mpumalanga does not allow for the use of a suppressor/silencer without a permit, however we believe it is outdated and we will amend our Act and Regulations accordingly when the opportunity presents itself.

Mpumalanga Nature Conservation Act, Act 10 of 1998. Art. 11(f)    

Eastern Cape:
Not illegal to use a silencer on a rifle.

LEMA do not prohibit the use of a silencer on a gun when hunting. Please read Art 38 in LEMA to get clarity.

It is advised that the hunter obtain permission/find out from the farm owner if he allows silencers on his property or not.

Tuesday, 17 June 2014 00:00

How do I apply for PHASA membership?

Written by

Follow this link to the relevant page on the PHASA website on Membership applications.

Permanent Exportation of firearms.

You have to follow the following steps:
1.    You can apply at your nearest DFO (designated firearms officer) for a permanent export permit.
-    You will need to complete a SAP520 form
-    Letter of country where you will be exporting to, stating that the firearm(s) may be imported into the country
-    Copy of ID/Passport documents
-    Firearm licence(s)
-    Competency Certificate or 2 Sets of fingerprints
DFO will capture and charge R140 per application (no matter how many firearms)
They will send it to CFR to issue – takes 4-6 weeks
CFR will send permit back to DFO


Permanente Uitvoer van Vuurwapens:

SAP520 ingevul vir Permante Uitvoer
Copy of ID/Passpoort
Copy of Lisensie
Copy of Competency – as hy nie competency het nie, 2 stelle vingerafdrukke
Land van Invoer se offisiele dokumente

Hy moet na die naaste Vuurwapen katoor by ñ polisiestasie gaan.
Die koste is R140 per aansoek (maak nie saak hoeveel vuurwapens nie)
Hulle sal dit capture en na CFR toe stuur wat dit sal proseseer.
Dit vat tussen 4-6 weke – hul sal dan die Uitvoer permit aan die vuurwapen kantoor terugstuur.

You have to follow the following steps:

1.    You need to be a citizen of SA; or have a permanent residence permit in SA. ( Both of these categories mean that you will be in possession of a Barr Coded Identity Book issued to you by our Department of Home Affairs

2.    You need to obtain a competency certificate for the firearm(s) through the SA Police before you can start with the import.

3.    After receiving the competency certificate, you can apply at your nearest DFO (designated firearms officer) for a permanent import permit.
-    You will need to complete a SAP520 form
-    Competency certificate
-    Letter of country from where you will be exporting, stating that the firearm(s) may leave the country
-    Motivation why you want to import the firearm(s)
-    Copy of ID/Passport documents

4.    Once your permanent import permit has been issued, you may bring in the firearm(s) and you will have 1 year to apply and obtain your licence for the firearm(s).

5.    You may store your firearm in your own safe if you have a permanent import permit.

You have to apply at your nearest DFO (Designated Firearms Officer)

SAP520 Completes for Temporary Export
Copy of ID
Copy of Licence
Copy of Competency – or 2 sets of fingerprints
Flight itinerary
Letter of Invitation from Country of Export / Proof of other country allowing firearms to be imported.

When land is registered in a Trust, the trustees must call a meeting and make a resolution, which has to be minuted on your letterhead, that a specific Trustee is nominated to take the responsibilities of the owner with regard to the wildlife.
This way the Trustee qualifies as a owner as per the law, and the law now has a legally responsible person to deal with. This nominated Trustee, can now apply for the Outfitter's permit and will then also be the responsible Hunting Outfitter. 

In terms of the TOPS Regulations bow hunting of leopard, elephant and rhino is completely prohibited.
Bow hunting of lion is not prohibited in terms of the TOPS Regulations, but a TOPS permit is still required for the hunting thereof. Buffalo is not regulated in terms of the TOPS Regulations at all. Therefore the hunter needs to find out from the province where the hunt will take place, whether they require a permit for bow hunting of lion and buffalo in terms of the provincial legislation.

Each Province has different regulations regarding dangerous game bow
hunting.  Buffalo is not regulated in terms of the TOPS Regulations at all.
It is thus one, of the only two dangerous game species, that may be hunted with bow. The other is Hippo, which is also not listed under TOPS. ( some Provinces have a moratorium on bow hunting of pachyderms )

Bow hunting of dangerous game, such as buffalo will always be subject to a permit for the bow. ( it is considered an illegal weapon and exemption is not granted as is the case for other Antelope species ) In order for a client to hunt dangerous game with a bow, they need a "certificate of competence". The only accredited people in the USA to give this "certificate" is the "NBEF" ( National Bow Hunting Educational Foundation ) and I do believe the people involved there  is , Neil Summers and Dr. Samuels.

If the client does not have the ability to get such "certificate of competence", they should supply the Hunting Outfitter with proof of being competent with a bow, which will be used as motivation in the permit application.

The clients must make sure, that the PH who will guide them, has an "unlimited PH permit" in the Province this guiding will take place, and that the PH has a "certificate of competence" to guide a "bow hunting client" on a dangerous game bow hunt.

If all these "ducks are in a row", most provinces will issue a permit for the client to hunt a Buffalo with their bow.

The current requirements are:

Minimum 80lb bow
Minimum arrow weight is 700gr
Arrow heads must be single forged with cutting edge starting at the point.
Maximum two cutting edges, which must be at least a 2,8cm (11/4") cutting edge.
NO mechanical broad heads are allowed. 

Page 1 of 4